The Ottawa Anxiety and Trauma Clinic is pleased to offer:
Empowering Yoga for Anxiety, Depression & Trauma
Empowering Yoga™ is designed to alleviate symptoms of post-traumatic stress and increase the resilience of critical task performers working in high stress environments. Classes are created specifically for military personnel, veterans, first responders, emergency room staff, and trauma survivors; as well as those who may experience trauma vicariously, such as care-givers and family members. Each class combines mindful movement following a trauma-sensitive approach to yoga and ends with a period of iRest Guided Meditation.
WHEN: Every Wednesday at 10:00am - 11:00am from Jan. 10 - May 23, 2018
NOTE: Classes are suspended for the summer but will resume in the fall after Labour Day. Proper dates will be posted here in September 2018.
Location: Ottawa Anxiety and Trauma Clinic Boardroom, Suite 202 Billings Bridge Mall Cost: $15.00/class. (cash or cheque)
Registration: Email or phone Lynda at: Lynda@LyndaPedley.com, 613-523-5665. Lynda can answer any questions you may have. OR arrive at the Clinic 10 minutes before class start time.
Equipment: For hygiene reasons, you are encouraged to bring your own mat (some mats will be available). Wear clothes you are comfortable moving in such at shorts, sweat pants, & t-shirt.
Lynda Pedley is a professional level registered yoga teacher with specialized in-depth training in a trauma-sensitive approach to yoga and meditation for trauma survivors, veterans, military personnel, and first responders. She is also a Certified iRest Guided Meditation Teacher.
Lynda understands that taking the first step to come to a class can be the most difficult. In these classes she respects your process and encourages each person to follow what feels right, using her as a guide. You are always in charge of your experience and are welcome to follow your instincts in a safe and friendly environment.
On Lynda’s web site there's a free 5 minute audio recording of an iRest guided meditation for resilience. Here's the link: http://lyndapedley.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/iRest-5-minute-meditation.wav
This class has helped me to reduce my stress, tension & anxiety in a very therapeutic, challenging and enjoyable environment. This type of class is a must for helping counter operational and post traumatic stress. I was truly amazed at the change it has already instilled in me in a very short time. DBF
For me it is giving space. Space for 1 hour. I have no flashback. Peace, peace inside my body. LL
SOME BENEFITS OF AN EMPOWERING YOGA CLASS
Empowering Yoga is based on two key cornerstones of invitation and inquiry. By offering choice and encouraging curiosity, Lynda guides participants to connect with & reclaim their body in the present.
- Develop proactive stress management skills so symptoms don't progress to PTSD.
- Become more present by drawing attention to the breath and body sensations, thus shifting attention from past trauma.
- Build a sense of self-empowerment and self-control.
- Develop a flexible mindset that can rise to meet daily challenges & return to a calm, relaxed state.
- Decrease hyper-vigilance & hypersensitivity to noise, crowds, movement, and visually stimulating environments by increasing present moment body & breath awareness.
- Improve quality of sleep & energy level to support meeting your daily needs and goals.
WHAT IS EMPOWERING YOGA AT THE OTTAWA ANXIETY & TRAUMA CLINIC?
- At the Clinic we practice yoga as a way of becoming more friendly with our body
- We offer a safe, supportive, non-judgmental environment
- Instructors are Certified Yoga Teachers with specific training in a trauma-sensitive approach to yoga
- Our presentation of yoga is NOT religious
- We cultivate strength and flexibility and we encourage students to take care of themselves and not force through pain or strain
- We emphasize self-awareness and self-regulation by using yoga techniques such as deep, mindful breathing, a strong physical core and an upright, well supported spine
- We do no hands-on, physical assists during yoga classes at the Clinic
- We discourage competition and encourage each student’s personal exploration of the postures and breathing practices for their own benefit
- We encourage curiosity and interest in the body and the subjective experience in the moment.
WHAT IS iREST GUIDED MEDITATION?
Meditation is a form of mental training and skill development that uses clearly defined techniques to focus attention in the present.
iRest (integrative restoration) is a research-based secular application of an ancient mindfulness practice that combines deep relaxation and resiliency training with meditative inquiry to address such issues as stress, anxiety, depression, PTSD, chronic pain, sleep disturbances, and overall well-being. The iRest protocol has been developed over the past forty years by Dr. Richard Miller, a clinical psychologist, author, researcher and yogic scholar.
BENEFITS OF iREST
iRest is a transformative practice that releases negative emotions and thought patterns, calms the nervous system, and develops a deep capacity to meet the circumstances you may encounter in life. Extensive research has shown that iRest effectively supports the healing process across a broad range of populations.
People using iRest report:
- Decreased stress, anxiety, fear & depression
- Decreased insomnia and sleep disturbances
- Decreased perception of chronic & acute pain
- Improved interpersonal relations
- Increased energy levels
- Increased sense of control in their lives
- Greater sense of peace and well-being
- Greater sense of safety and control.